Wednesday, August 17, 2011

'It was the best thing to happen to me'

Lots of stuff from practice today. I'm working on some stories that will be up later, but for now, here's senior wide receiver B.J. Cunningham talking about getting redshirted his freshman year. If you haven't heard, he's 10 catches away from being MSU's all-time leader, which is quite a feat at a school with a history for great receivers. Cunningham got a lot of hype when he was on the practice squad in 2007, developing a chemistry with Kirk Cousins, who was redshirted the same year.

"I feel like it was the best thing to happen to me. (When I got my redshirt,) I called home, I was like, ‘Mom, I don’t know if I’m going to make it. I’ve got to sit out another whole year. I can’t play football, play a whole game. I’m just going to be a practice player. But looking back on it, I got to learn the speed of the game, get my feet right, my hands right and learn more about the game. Because I was still kind of raw."

"I had my senior talk a few days ago, and I told (the freshmen), ‘If you get redshirted, don’t be discouraged.' Look at me now. It helped me a lot. Now I’m on the verge of possibly breaking the record and win another Big Ten championship and be a part of another great team."

No comments:

Post a Comment